Sunday 10 January 2016

After the storm, comes the calm…

This is my last blog before taking a break, but I just wanted to take a moment and use one of my favourite paintings as an inspiration for a few final words.

Figure 1: Snow Storm - Steam-Boat off a Harbour’s Mouth by Joseph Mallord William Turner. Source: Tate.org.uk


‘Snow Storm’ by Turner is a perfect way to end this blog. He is one of my favourite painters and inspired me to go to art school before studying science. He also helped me along the way to becoming a weather forecaster (a career lasting for 10 years) and now to being obsessed with big storms (although the Great Storm of 1987 in the UK also had a strong imprinting effect).

The painting shows his interpretation of a storm; one of many pictures he painted on the subject of vortices. Legend has it that he strapped himself to the mast of a ship during a storm, to gain an experience of extreme weather. In doing so he was risking his own life for his art. Whether true or not: it’s a great story.

It strikes me as a poignant image in light of today’s debate on climate change. To me, it represents the belligerent march of industry despite the environment carrying on in its naturally ferocious, unforgiving, but ultimately beautiful way. It also motivates me to consider more of what we can do to mitigate and adapt to a future of more severe extreme weather – a future which is likely to have been brought about by the actions of a few industrializing nations.

Even though I’m signing off from this blog for now, I feel it is certainly the beginning many more. I have learnt a lot about climate change while writing these posts, and I sincerely hope that you have enjoyed what you have read. I will continue to grow in my knowledge of climate issues, and try to synthesize the science with an even and balanced view.

If you too are finding out more about our natural environment and have any climate-related comments or questions related to anything I have posted, then please feel free to leave a comment.


But for now, goodbye and happy blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment